Tuesday, December 15, 2009

TMI or share the experience?

I do not know what to share in my blog. It is neither a private journal nor a public exposé. In others’ blogs I have seen both meaningless drivel and too much information that I consider of a personal nature. This post may cross into the latter and I apologize if I offend anyone, but I want to share with my friends that something particularly agreeable happened this weekend.

My children have dreaded the eventuality that someday they would have an event where their divorced parents should simultaneously be in attendance; e.g., wedding, birth, or graduation. Their high school graduations were awkward, at best. Chelsea decided to test the status quo and announced she was going to walk at her college graduation and invite the whole family.

The commencement ceremony was Sunday, followed by a family meal. I am pleased to report all went well and was properly focused on Chelsea’s accomplishments. Yes, I was anxious, as were others. As to be expected anytime a group of people get together for awhile, there were a couple of gaffes, but I think my ex-wife and I handled them graciously. My ex-wife had taken the initiative to talk with me the night before for what was a healthy conversation that helped set the stage for a successful time together Sunday. Thank you, Kim. It was a joy to concentrate on Chelsea completing her undergraduate degree and have it be a positive experience for everyone. It is rare when the graduate gives her guests presents but her insistence on our being civil and together as a family proved to be such a gift. Thank you, Chelsea.

No comments:

Post a Comment