Monday, March 5, 2018

Basketball results, my wardrobe, and chaos theory

Does the flap of a butterfly’s wings ultimately cause a tornado? That is the question Edward Lorenz, a meteorology professor at MIT, asked in postulating “sensitive dependence on initial conditions” or the “butterfly effect,” the founding principle of chaos theory. Well, does the flap of a butterfly’s wings cause a tornado? After years of study and debate, Dr. Lorenz stated his conclusion in a 2008 lecture: “Even today I am unsure of the proper answer.” Given there is a possibility that such seemingly unrelated events may have a cause and effect relationship, I apologize to my fellow fans of Kansas and Wichita State basketball.

Throughout the 2017/2018 basketball season, I had not worn my Jayhawk and Shocker attire regularly. Saturday, I put on a Jayhawks tee-shirt. KU was embarrassingly swept by Oklahoma State. On the chance I had not been sufficiently enthusiastic, Sunday I put on a Shockers tee-shirt AND sweatpants. Wichita State had a chance to tie for the American Athletic Conference Championship. Instead, WSU lost at home in a tight game to Cincinnati. As the Shockers were much closer to winning than were the Jayhawks, am I to conclude it was because I was wearing team sweatpants? Would the Shockers have avoided two five-minute scoreless streaks had I also been wearing their socks? Dr. Lorenz, I need a less ambiguous answer! March Madness begins soon! Do I need Jayhawk and Shocker socks? Can Amazon get them here on time? Am I blaspheming the basketball gods even to consider there is any significance of crimson and blue, and black and gold on my feet?

I am confident that as a butterfly flaps its wings, I had a part in the Cubs winning the 2016 World Series, the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup in 2010, 2013, and 2015; and the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl in 2013. I accept no responsibility, though, for the boneheaded play call for the Seahawks Super Bowl in 2014 - that is entirely on Pete Carroll! As for this year’s Blackhawks, there are no wardrobe choices that can explain this awful season.

Go Jayhawks! Go Shockers!

No comments:

Post a Comment