Saturday, November 14, 2009

It

I suspect it is every parent's wish for their child to find "it". I am not completely sure what "it" is. The "it" I refer to is not one's purpose in life, but more like that something in one's life for which one has a passion or is drawn to - that something one can fall back on even when all else seems to be against you. I used to know an expression, Latin perhaps, that captured the essence. I do not recall. That is unfortunate as "it" is something special that should have a name - a name known by everyone, a name one seeks to have in their life.

My son has possibly found his "it" - flight. He has returned to school and he seems to be thriving in his aviation curriculum. Unlike earlier times, this time he is taking school seriously; yet having fun doing so and building a network of school chums. That in and of itself is pleasing but of most joy to me is to hear that he has passion for something that is beyond and within him. If "it" is flight, I am especially happy because it can be something that draws us together and eventually will allow him to surpass me. I think my son can understand the following quote generally attributed to Leonardo da Vinci.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

At one time I thought my daughter had found her "it" - acting. That faded. Her move to Washington, I suspect, is part of looking for her "it". My step-daughter, I am saddened to think, does not yet know her "it". I am afraid her state is too often that of many, perhaps most, people. I do hope all my children and friends find their "it".

No comments:

Post a Comment