Sunday, November 15, 2009

Young Frankenstein

You must be in the appropriate mood to enjoy a movie by Mel Brooks. Depending on your mood, the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles is either uproarious or disgusting. I found the same to be true with a Brooks' musical theater production. Fortunately, I was in the right mood last night for Young Frankenstein. It took a few of scenes to accept that Roger Bart is not Gene Wilder, Cory English is not Marty Feldman, and Anne Horak is not Teri Garr. That was not unexpected given how the movie has become such a comedy standard. Once adapted to watching a musical comedy instead of a movie, I thoroughly enjoyed Young Frankenstein.

The published reviews for the touring company had generally been unremarkable. I will give it a A-. The production was not outstanding, but it was greatly entertaining. The only scene I found disappointing was "Puttin on the Ritz", probably because it was the one most often cited as being the best. I did not find it so, although I do generally like the flamboyant Broadway song and dance numbers. There is something special about live theater and music.

My friends in Kansas may have seen Anne Horak perform at Music Theatre of Wichita in All Shook Up, Thoroughly Modern Millie, A Chorus Line, or Once Upon a Mattress. She was superb in the role of Inga, Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory assistant, and frankly a "Roll in The Hay" with her is appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment